As gyms and studios reopen and return to full capacity, our workout habits are once again shifting. We are starting to get back to our pre-COVID workout routines and in-person classes. According to ClassPass' new Comeback Report, here are 8 trends we can expect for the remainder of the year, and beyond.
1. IRL Experiences Are Back And Here To Stay
- 9 of the current top 10 experiences getting booked on ClassPass are for in-person classes and appointments.
- Once we go back to in-person experiences, we keep going back. Among users who have returned to class, average usage is 10% higher than it was before the pandemic.
2. Vaccination-Required Classes Are In
- Studios such as [solidcore] are starting to offer vaccination-required classes. These classes typically require proof of vaccination at the door, but no mask during class.
- A ClassPass survey shows 69% of members would prefer returning to classes that require a vaccine, and 18% plan to only return to studios with vaccination requirements.
- 59% of respondents would prefer to remove their mask in class once vaccinated.
3. The Afterwork Workout Is Back On Our Calendars
- 5:30pm has just made a comeback as the time we are most likely to break a sweat; earlier during the pandemic we saw lunchtime workouts score the #1 spot.
- Lunchtime workouts are still popular (12pm is the second most popular class time), but we are finally venturing out and using an end of day workout as the perfect way to create separation from our email, take a deep breath and kickbox our way through some workday frustrations.
4. Yoga Is Growing A Loyal Following
- Livestream yoga is the only digital class type in the top 10 most booked classes and appointments.
- In-studio yoga has climbed to the second most popular class type since studios have reopened. It’s likely that the at-home yoga spike produced some new students, and that both new and seasoned yogis are excited to practice with a community again.
- People new to ClassPass are most likely to book a yoga class first.
5. Outdoor Classes Continue to Boom in Popularity
- The outdoor trend first started as a way for studios to offer classes while their indoor spaces were closed. Since May 2020, there has been a 917% increase in the number of studios offering outdoor classes.
- Outdoor classes continue to grow in popularity -- May 2021 saw the most outdoor reservations in a single month ever on ClassPass.
6. Self-Care Tops Our List Of Needs
- For the first time ever, massage is one of the top 10 reservation types on ClassPass.
- In many cities such as NYC, one-third of ClassPass credits are now being spent on wellness and beauty services including massages, facials, manicures, haircuts and more.
7. Weekend Glow-Ups Have Returned:
- Friday is now the most popular day to make a beauty or wellness appointment. We are back to booking blowouts and manicures before the weekend, wanting to feel our best for seeing friends and family for the first time in over a year!
- Vaxed and waxed is not just an Instagram hashtag -- searches for wax services are up 700%+ compared to June 2020.
8. We Crave New Experiences Beyond Our Homes:
- Around the world, discovery of new experiences is on the rise. In the past month, ClassPass usage increased by more than 100% in the US and tripled in the UK. (data is from May 1, 2021 to June 10, 2021)
- Strength training is the most-booked class type as people return to studios and look for classes with gear they may not have had access to at home. Digital classes have dropped significantly in the rankings -- only Livestream Yoga remains in the top 10.
- We are again getting social -- there has been a 64% increase in people inviting their friends to class since the start of the year (January 2021), and May saw the highest volume of people inviting friends to class since pre-shutdown.
To read more of the ClassPass survey results, click here.