We don't think anyone could have predicted 2020 fitness trends would have taken the turn that they did this year. COVID changed the way we workout and now ClassPass is taking a stab at predicting 2021 trends. Here's five things they think will define fitness in the coming year - what do you think?
1. Taking A Crunch Break For Lunch Break:
- For the first time ever, 12pm is the most popular time to work out during the week.
- Lunchtime workouts have seen a 67% increase in popularity. This shift can largely be attributed to a rise in remote work, and the ease of no-shower required virtual meetings. Even as people have returned to studios, the 12pm weekday time slot for in-person classes is more popular now than it was before lockdowns.
2. Fitness Travel Is In, No Passport Required:
- With digital options, you are no longer limited to your geographical location, so it’s the perfect chance to take a dance class with a friend across the country or revisit a studio you loved on vacation. More than half of members are chiming in regularly for classes taught from other cities.
- New York and Los Angeles studios are getting the most attention from international members. Fitness fans based in cities such as London and Singapore are eager to try top US studios.
- Members already based in North America are most likely to take a class streamed from London (UK), Sydney (Australia) or Amsterdam (Netherlands).
3. Open Air Gyms Are a Breath of Fresh Air:
- Outdoor workouts first emerged in Europe and have continued to grow in demand throughout the US. 4 in 5 surveyed ClassPass members are willing to try outdoor classes -- ClassPass has added a search for “Outdoors” classes to support this trend and the number of outdoor class options has increased by 400% in 2020.
- Many studios are getting creative with outdoor classes including using beautiful city backdrops for class. One studio in Amsterdam even rented out an underutilized wedding venue!
4. Corporate Wellness Benefits Have Become a Must-Have for Companies:
- 25% of professionals are exercising more now than at the start of COVID-19, with 1 in 5 using their previous commute time to exercise
- 4 in 5 professionals say fitness activities have been crucial to establishing a new work-from-home routine. 96% of professionals say they feel more motivated and less stressed after exercising, with 89% of professionals saying they feel more productive during the work day after exercising.
- 3 in 5 professionals who have participated in a team workout report feeling more connected to their team afterwards. Teams are most likely to book a private HIIT or yoga class to stay engaged and workout together, and hundreds of private classes have been booked.
5. People Will Head Back To Studios Once They Feel Safe
- 92% of professionals hope to return to fitness studios and gyms in 2021, with 40% planning to return exclusively to in-studio workouts when they feel safe to do so (source: Nov 2020 study of 2,185 professionals from 19 countries)
- After attending their first indoor class since the start of the pandemic, 89% of subscribers responded they would go back as or more frequently to future classes.
For more on the fitness trends of 2020 and 2021, check out the full survey at https://classpass.com/blog/classpass-wellness-fitness-trends-2020/