It has been an extremely tough year for the fitness world, with many studios being forced to close for months. According to a recent ClassPass survey, 95% of studios around the world closed their physical spaces, ClassPass helped 5,000 studios to add livestream and on-demand workouts, and 81% of ClassPass customers reported that they worked out using digital options.
The survey goes on to reveal that of the different workout options available to consumers, Yoga reigned supreme as the "top digital workout of 2020," closely followed by HIIT and Pilates.
While fitness persevered , here are seven ways the pandemic impacted 2020 fitness trends.
1. Yoga increased in popularity by 25% as members called for ways to manage pandemic stress. Yoga was also the most popular workout for someone taking their first livestream class.
2. HIIT’s share of all workouts increased by 26% and Pilates’ share of all workouts increased by 16%.
3. Restorative fitness was also very popular in 2020. Meditation and Stretching both rank in the top 10 on-demand activities booked through ClassPass.
4. At home classes that require less equipment are more popular. Classes that require bodyweight only pulled in double the number of bookings as classes that require equipment.
5. When members found a strength training workout they loved, they repeated it. Strength training was the on-demand workout most likely to be replayed.
6. There was a 400% increase in the number of outdoor classes being offered by studios this year as many closed studios moved outside, taking advantage of fresh air and room to socially distance. 4 in 5 surveyed members reported a willingness to attend these classes, and we anticipate this will be a lasting trend into 2021.
7. Transparent safety information is a key factor in the decision to return to studios, according to more than half of ClassPass members. To help, ClassPass added a feature that allows members to preview the specific safety and sanitation precautions of every studio, from distanced bikes to contactless check-in.
For more of this year’s fitness trends, check out the full survey here.